Cream Cheese Frosting (Plant-based/Vegan)
This vegan cream cheese frosting is seriously good!! It tastes just like the original, so much so, we're willing to bet no one will ever guess it doesn't contain any dairy. This plant-based cream cheese frosting is delicious with Halo & Swoon's Chocolate Cake, especially when baked as red velvet cake or cupcakes.
The secret to our vegan cream cheese frosting recipe is making a cashew cream cheese first. This is super easy, all you need is a blender.
Once you have your vegan cream cheese, you can pretty much follow any cream cheese frosting recipe with delicious results.
We've shared our favourite cream cheese frosting recipe below which has a squeeze of lemon to make it deliciously tangy. But if you prefer a vanilla cream cheese frosting, then by all means use that flavouring instead.
Cream cheese frosting is the traditional topping for red velvet cake or cupcakes. We love adding a cup of grated beetroot to our Halo & Swoon Chocolate Cake to create an amazingly moist red velvet cake, that's plant-based, gluten & refined sugar free.
This frosting recipe makes enough to frost 12 Halo & Swoon cupcakes or one Halo & Swoon cake.
Cream Cheese Frosting (Plant-based/vegan)
Prep time: 30 minutes Chill time: 30 minutes
Vegan Cream Cheese
1 1/2 cups soaked cashew nuts
1/2 cup coconut cream (thick part)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1. Place cashews in a bowl, cover with water and leave to soak for 2 hours. Alternatively, if you're in a hurry cover with boiling water and soak for 15 minutes.
2. Drain cashews, place in high speed blender with the remaining ingredients and blend until very smooth.
3. Transfer cream cheese to a sealed container and store in fridge up to 5 days.
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
550g icing sugar
225g vegan cream cheese
40g vegan butter
2 tsp lemon juice
1. Place all the ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or a regular bowl with hand mixer, and beat together until smooth.
2. If the frosting seems too runny, simply add a little more icing sugar. And vice versa, if it's too thick add a little more lemon juice.
2. Place frosting in the fridge to chill for 30 mins before using.
3. Store frosted cake/cupcakes in the fridge, allow to come to room temp again before serving. Frosting will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.